This tutorial details Procore's legacy experience for setting or releasing retention on a subcontractor payment application. The information on this page will be replaced with updated content when the redesigned subcontrator payment application beta experience is generally available. To learn about this release and its timeline, see Financial Management: New Admin View for Subcontractor Payment applications.
Important! If you are using the subcontractor payment application beta experience, please see the Set or Release Retention on a Subcontractor Payment application tutorial under the Payment applications tool instead of the information below.
In Procore, the term Retention refers to the practice of withholding of a portion of a contract amount until the work is deemed satisfactorily complete. The withheld amount is specified in an agreement between the contracting party (the party paying for the work) and a contracted party (the person or company performing the work). A common practice is to withhold 5-10% of a contract's total value until a milestone is reached. Then, the withheld amount can be released as a progress payment. When work is substantially complete, the withheld amount can be released as a final payment.
Things to Consider
- Required User Permissions:
- To set and release retention when editing a payment application before, during or after the current billing period, 'Admin' level permissions on the project's Commitments tool.
- To release retention when editing a payment application during the current billing period only, 'Standard' level permissions on the project's Commitments tool and you must be the designated 'Invoice Contact' on the contract. Payment application contacts are automatically added to the 'Private' drop-down list on the contract.
NoteTo learn more about releasing retention on a subcontractor payment application, see Create a Subcontractor Payment application for the Release of Retention.
- Additional Information:
- To set the same percentage of retention on all line items in the payment application, enter a value to apply to all line items in the payment application.
- To release retention on all line items, enter a value to apply to all line items. This moves the desired percentage from the 'Currently Retained' column to the 'Released This Period' column.
- You can also manage withholding using Procore's sliding scale retention feature. See What is sliding scale retention?
- Enable Retention on a Purchase Order or Subcontract
- Create a new payment application and place it into the 'Draft' status. See Create a Payment Application on Behalf of a Payment Application Contact.
- Navigate to the project's Commitments tool.
- Under the Contracts tab, locate the purchase order or subcontract. Then click Edit.
- Click the Payment Applications tab.
- Locate the subcontractor payment application that you want to work with.
- Click the Detail tab.
- Click the Edit button.
- Choose the next steps:
Set Retention on All Line Items
To set retention, you must have 'Admin' level permissions on the project's Commitments tool.
- Under Set Retention on All Line Items, do the following:
- Enter the percentage to withhold in the Work Completed box.
- Click Set.
- Enter the percentage to withhold in the Materials Stored box. To learn more, see How do I bill for stored materials in Procore?
- Click Set.
Release Retention on All Line Items
- To release retention on a payment application, you must have the Required User Permissions detailed above.
- To learn how to create a new subcontractor payment application to release retention on all line items, see Create a Subcontractor Payment application for the Release of Retention.
- Under Release Retention on All Line Items, do the following:
- Enter the percentage to release in the Work Completed box.
- Click Release.
A GREEN banner appears to confirm the retention was released.