Configure Settings: Progress Billings
Limited ReleaseThe Progress Billings tool is only available to Procore customers in the United States and Canada who have implemented the Procore for Specialty Contractors point-of-view dictionary. To learn more, see (Limited Release) Owners & Specialty Contractors Point-of-View Dictionary Options.
To configure the advanced settings for the project's Progress Billings tool.
If your project team plans to use Procore's Progress Billings tool, it is recommended that you configure the tool's settings before your team starts to create invoices for the project. Invoice settings controlled at the project level include:
- Default Billing Period. The settings in this section let you define the default billing period for the Progress Billings tool. Completing this information gives Procore the ability to automatically complete the date fields in the window that appears when users click the +Create Billing Period button.
- Emails. The settings in this section let you add the body of an outgoing message on your invites and reminder messages.
- Other. The settings in this section let you choose to include a footer on your payment applications, to show or hide the amounts being claimed by subcontractors and also lets you decide if subcontractors are permitted to overbill.
Things to Consider
- Required User Permissions:
- 'Admin' level permissions on the project's Commitments tool.
- Access permissions to the Payment applications & Progress Billings tools are governed by the permissions set on the Commitments and/or Client Contracts, Funding or Main Contracts tool. Procore tool names vary, depending on the language or point-of-view dictionary configured in Procore. See What dictionaries and languages are available in the Procore web application?
- If you are a collaborator (for example, an payment application contact employed by a company performing work on a project managed in Procore, your ability to perform invoice-related tasks is determined by the Procore company account holder. Settings that the account holder may choose to provide to you include:
- A Procore User account.
- Access permissions to the project's Commitments and/or Client Contracts, Funding or Main Contracts tool.
- Membership on the 'Private' list of a specific contract or funding
- Designated as an 'Invoice Contact' on the contract or funding.
- 'Admin' level permissions on the project's Commitments tool.
- Navigate to the project's Progress Billings tool.
- Click the Configure Settings icon.
- Under Settings, you have these choices:
Configure the Default Billing Period
Under the Default Billing Period section, set the default date range and due date for Procore to use when automatically creating new billing periods. Always click the Update button when you are ready for your changes to go into effect.
- Start Date
Select the calendar date of the month for the billing period to begin. Procore uses this setting to:
- Automatically complete the From' date when you create a manual billing period. See Create Manual Billing Periods. Users can change this date when creating a billing period.
- Automatically complete the 'Start Date' when Procore creates an automatic billing period. See Create Automatic Billing Periods.
- Procore's default 'Start Date' is the '1st of the month'. You can change this setting to any date that you want.
- End Date
Select the calendar date of the month for the billing period to end. Procore uses this setting to:
- Automatically complete the To' date in a manual billing period. See Create Manual Billing Periods. Users can change this date when creating a billing period.
- Automatically complete the 'Start Date' when creating an automatic billing period. See Create Automatic Billing Periods.
- The default 'End Date' is the '31st of the month'. You can change this setting to any date that you want.
- Due Date
Select the calendar date of the month to indicate the date the payment application should be submitted to the company paying for the work completed on the payment application. Procore uses this setting to:
- Automatically complete the 'Due Date' in a manual billing period. See Create Manual Billing Periods. Users can change this date when creating a billing period.
- Automatically complete the 'Due Date' in an automatic billing period. See Create Automatic Billing Periods.
- The default date is the 25th of the month'.
After the 'Due Date' passes, keep the following in mind:
- A payment application contact can no longer perform the steps in Submit a New Payment application as a Payment Application Contact.
- A payment application contact can only edit a payment application after the 'Due Date' passes, but the payment application must be in the Draft or Revise and Resubmit status.
- An invoice administrator can Create an Invoice on Behalf of an Invoice Contact after the 'Due Date' passes.
Configure the Payment application Email Options
Under the Emails section, set the optional default settings for the Progress Billings tool's email notification messages. Always click the Update button when you are ready for your changes to go into effect.
- Optional: Invitation & Reminder Custom Message
Type a message in this box. This text will be included in both the 'Invite to Bill' and automatic reminder emails that Procore sends to your invoice contacts. See Send an 'Invite to Bill' to an Invoice Contact.
- Optional: Remind Subcontractors to Bill
Toggle this option ON to send an automatic reminder email to your payment application contacts. The default setting is OFF. Then set the cadence of those emails by selecting Every Day, Every 2 Days, or Every 3 Days from the Frequency drop-down list. After the 'Due Date' on a payment application passes, Procore automatically stops sending reminder messages.
- Optional: Send a Digest of Under Review payment applications
Toggle this option ON and select Weekly from the Frequency drop-down list to send a weekly digest summary every Monday. The default setting is OFF. Payment applications for the current billing period are included in this digest message when they are in the Draft, Under Review or Revise and Resubmit status. Digest messages are sent to members of the 'Invoice Distribution' drop-down list, which is located in the Default Distributions section of the Configure Settings page in the Commitments tool. See Configure Advanced Settings: Commitments.
- Optional: Notify Subcontractors when Invoices are Approved
Toggle this option ON to automatically send a notification email to your invoice contact(s) when an invoice's status is changed to Approved or Approved as Noted by an invoice administrator. The default setting is OFF. See Review a Subcontractor Invoice as an Admin.
Configure the 'Other' Settings
Under the Other section, you have the choices below. Always click the Update button when you are ready for your changes to go into effect.
- Optional: Sub Invoice PDF Footer Text
Enter any text that you want to appear in the footer of an invoice PDF created by a user with 'Admin' level permissions on the Commitments tool. See Export a Subcontractor Invoice. This field is useful for adding a statement regarding local regulations compliance.
ImportantThe 'Sub Payment application PDF Footer' text only appears when a user with 'Admin' level permissions on the project's Commitments tool generates the PDF. It does NOT appear on any PDF generated by a user with 'Read Only' or 'Standard' level permissions on the Commitments tool.
- Optional: Show Amounts Subcontractors Claim. If you enable this setting, main contractors will be able to differentiate between what a subcontractor claims and what the main contractor approves.
NoteIn Australia and New Zealand, enabling the 'Show Amounts Subcontractors Claim' setting will also let general contractors create a payment schedule PDF in response to the invoice. See Review a Subcontractor Invoice as an Admin. To create a payment schedule, See Create a Payment Schedule.
- Total Claimed Amount
This amount reflects the 'Proposed Amount' column on the payment application's Detail tab. This value excludes retention.
- Total Approved Amount
This amount reflects the 'Work Completed this Period' plus 'Materials Presently Stored' on the payment application's 'Detail' tab. This value also excludes retention.
- Line-by-line claimed and approved amounts in the detail table.
- The overall comment for the payment application.
- Reasons for Difference
This table includes comments on individual line items where there was a difference between the claimed and approved amounts. For information about adding comments, see Review a Subcontractor Invoice as an Admin.
- Total Claimed Amount
- Allow Subcontractors to Over-Bill. Toggle this option ON to allow an invoice contact to submit an invoice for over 100%. This included in the PDF.
Note to customers participating in the Company level Workflows tool beta program. The following setting is available to program participants only. To learn more, see (Beta) Workflows.
Configure the Subcontractor Workflow Settings
Under the Subcontractor Workflow Settings section, Procore lists any workflows that might be triggered for your project's purchase orders or subcontracts. You also need the appropriate user permissions on the Workflows tool.
To assign Procore project users who are responsible for completing the tasks assigned to specific roles in your workflow:
- Locate the workflow to update in the 'Subcontractor Workflow Settings' table.
- Click the Configure button to open the workflow in the Company level Workflows tool.
- Assign Workflow Manager. Select the project user who is assigned to this role in the drop-down list at the top of the page.
- Assign Distribution Group. Select a distribution group from this list. These users are the individuals who will receive notification emails from Procore when actions are triggered by your workflow steps.
Note: The 'Subcontractor Workflow Settings' section is only visible and available if you have enabled the Workflows tool to work with subcontractor invoices. To learn more, see Configure Advanced Settings: Workflows.
- Click Save in the Workflows tool. A GREEN 'The workflow settings were successfully updated.' message confirms your new settings and the name of the 'Default Item Manager' and 'Default Distribution List' that you selected appears in the workflow's line item.
- Click Save in the Configure Settings page of the Progress Billings tool.